It's been awhile since I last wrote. I took a little hiatus from cyber communication and have been focusing on nesting resting and restoring. It was unexpected for me to make this shift, but in "living my yoga" I had to listen in and honor what's felt right. I'm 3 months pregnant!!
It's been an interesting time of slowing down and moving inward. With the intense changes going on in my body, it's been a wonderful time for curiosity, reflection, and envisioning the future. Many of my normal daily routines have shifted..... everything from what and how I eat (yes, I've been eating every couple, with new cravings and aversions) to how I practice yoga and how I sleep. All my self care routines continue to evolve. And I understand that all the change that's happening right now is great preparation for the bigger changes that lie ahead.
This has been an immense time of learning. One of the main lessons and reminders is that our lives are always in flux. Whether we are changing jobs, moving to a new home, growing in our relationships, letting go of relationships, embracing the aging process, or simply observing the continuous evolution of our own consciousness, change is constant. So how do move through transformation with more grace and ease? And when it's not an easy process, how do we stay open?
5 Ways to Stay Open, Awake and at Ease Through Times of Change
- Listen: Listen to your heart. Listen to your body. Listen to your intuition. Being open to change requires deep listening. Often we look outside ourselves for guidance and answers to help us through times of transformation. Don't get me wrong, I truly believe we all need support in life, and it's a healthy thing to ask our friends, colleagues, loved ones and professionals for help. However, we each have a wealth of inner wisdom that often has the answers that nobody else can provide. So in addition to being supported by others, we must cultivate our own internal support by listening in, with loving kindness, to the wisdom of body, mind and heart.
- Allow: When we truly listen to what's going on inside, we can allow ourselves to fully experience the now. When we deny and fight the reality of what's happening (inside us and around us), we are not only unable to be present, but we also are unable to allow for the natural unfolding of change. We must allow ourselves to feel, to fully experience what we are going through, including the emotions that are uncomfortable, difficult and even painful. By listening, and allowing, we are then able to move through change with greater ease instead of getting stuck in the denial.
- Let Go of the "Shoulds:" This is a hard one, especially when our identities are wrapped up in being a certain way. One of my favorite sayings that i learned my masters in counseling program is "Stop shoulding on yourself! " Shoulding sounds a lot like something else, something that smells bad and something none of us should be carrying around! Time to dispose of the "shoulds" and free up your energy to embrace where you are.
- Practice Staying Grounded: This is ESSENTIAL! When everything around us is changing, or when we feel ourselves completely upside down, we must take extra care to feel grounded. Practice stillness and silence. Go for a walk, do yoga, and/or some sort of exercise to connect with your body and take a break from mental chatter. Get a massage or acupuncture. Get regular sleep and stay nourished with healthy foods. Do what you need to do to cultivate your internal sense of being ok amidst all the unknown of what's ahead.
- Breathe: I saved this for last, but really conscious breathing will help with steps 1-4. When we slow down and deepen the breath we are more able to listen, to allow, to let go, and to stay grounded. Breathing is the foundation for staying alert, open, and OK as we move through the ups and downs, adventures and surprises in life.
Do you have any other suggestions? I'd love to hear your thought! Feel free to leave a comment below.
Much love and light,