The new year is a great time to get clear on our intentions and desires, and to let go of things that no longer serve us. However, January can also be an extremely busy time of catching up after the holidays and keeping up with our new routines. That is why I decided to organize a weekend getaway for the end of January as a way to pause, reflect and reset. The Love Life Yoga Retreat (January 30-February 1) will be held in the lovely Valle de Guadelupe, the heart of Mexican wine country located just 90 minutes from San Diego. This is a magical region of beautiful rustic countryside, culinary sophistication, and extraordinary wine. Here are 5 reasons to retreat to this premier food and wine destination.
1. The Food- According to chef Diego Hernandez of renowned restaurant Corazon de Tierra, "Here in Baja, we have a palette of flavors like a painter." And USA Today calls the region the "Napa of Mexico." The Valle offers a deep connection to the land, biodynamic farming, exquisite culinary taste, and the art of heart and soul in their cooking. Check out the Sunset Magazine article for more info on the food, wine, and magic of this region.
2. The Wine- There is a long history of winemaking in this region. Many of the vineyards here were planted in the 18th century by Jesuit priests. Today the Valle is home to over 50 wineries. The Wine Enthusiast voted the Valle de Guadelupe as #3 of the Top 10 Wine Destinations of 2014
3. Slower Pace - The Valle is a beautiful open countryside that presents an invitation to slow down. Away from the hustle and bustle of urban life, the Valle offers quiet, open space, and beautiful sunrises and sunsets. And at hotel La Villa del Valle, there is minimal wifi and cell service- a great place to take a break from technology and reconnect with ourselves and nature.
4. Love Life Yoga Retreat - This January I will be hosting a weekend retreat at the beautiful boutique hotel, La Villa del Valle. This is also the home of Corazon de Tierra, Vena Cava Winery, and the amazing Troika food truck. In addition to practicing yoga and mindfulness, we will be savoring the flavors of fine dining, wine tasting and enjoying life. This will be my last retreat before my 11 month retreat hiatus. More Info
5. Why Not? My husband's Tony's name spelled backwards is Y-Not. So this is his motto for doing the things he wants to do. I've adopted this motto, and it seems to work well for reminding me to follow my heart and and embracing the fullness of life.
Below is a short great video on exploring the hidden gems of the Valle de Guadelupe